The Food and Drugs Authority (FDA) has confirmed that the suspected food poisoning at the Marwako Food Restaurant East Legon branch was due to food contamination.
It said analyses of samples of food, some juice drinks, and swaps taken from the environment at the East Legon branch of Mawarko Fast Food Limited indicated that there was heavy microbial load (pathogens), which may be linked to the food borne disease reported.
A statement issued and copied to the Ghana News Agency said samples collected from the Abelenkpe and La branches were also found to be heavily contaminated.
It said the levels of sanitation and hygiene in the food preparation areas in all three facilities as well as the storage practices were poor and contributed to the food poisoning.
Investigations indicated that the temperatures of deep freezers and refrigerators were far above the acceptable ranges, the handling practices of ingredients used in cooking, cooked and ready-to-eat food items were also very poor.